Books: Rybicki & Lightman (RL) & Ghisellini v2 (G)
You can choose either the R&L or Ghisellini’s textbook (which is free and can be downloaded from the link above). Using only the slides is fine but it is strongly recommended that you use at least one textbook. Check also the slides of Lecture 1 where I gave a number of alternative suggestions (mostly free books). I am following quite closely the R&L textbook, so that’s the best choice, but again any other textbook of those suggested is fine.
Lecture 1: Introduction & Transfer Theory I. RL 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 | G Chapter 1
Lecture 2: Transfer Theory II. RL 1.4, 1.6(read only), 1.7 | G Chapter 1
Lecture 3: Thermal & Blackbody Radiation. RL 1.5, 1.6, 1.8 (only Rosseland approximation) | G 2.2
- Slides Lecture 3
- This is the youtube video that didn’t run during the class
- IMPORTANT: Remember to enroll to this course on Blackboard otherwise we cannot show the scores of the tests.
- Solutions Werkcollege 2
- Werkcollege 3
Lecture 4: Relativistic Effects. RL 4.1, 4.9, exercise 4.7 + see examples on Ghisellini (Chapter 3) | G Chapter 3
IMPORTANT: There was a typo and a misleading equation in the slide number 18 of the lecture 4. I have now uploaded the correct version plus a .pdf document (Notes on the Lorentz contraction) with an explanation. You will not be asked about this topic (measuring a length with photons) in the test at the next Werkcollege. I apologize for the inconvenience.
- Slides Lecture 4
- Terrell’s paper: “On invisibility of Lorentz contraction”
- Slides Lecture 4 with animation (ppt)
- Notes on the Lorentz contraction
- Werkcollege 4
- Solutions Werkcollege 3 (UPDATED ON 8/12/2016 with the missing solutions)
Lecture 5: Bremsstrahlung Radiation. RL 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 (up to The General Multipole Expansion, excluded), 5.1, 5.2, 5.3. Look at the plots on the slides (some are taken from Ghisellini’s book) and remember to have a look at the final table in the last slide of this lecture. | G 2.1
- Slides Lecture 5
- Link to Wolfram Applet on Radiation Pulse from Accelerated Charge
- Link to the webpage where I took the animation on Slide 17 (oscillating charge)
- Werkcollege 5
- Solutions Werkcollege 4
Lecture 6: Recap lecture + Thomson Scattering. RL 3.4, 4.5 | G 5.2
Lecture 7: Cyclotron & Synchrotron Radiation I. RL 6.1, 6.2 & 4.8 | G 4.1, 4.2, 4.3
- Slides Lecture 7 (a few minor typos corrected with respect to the preliminary version)
- Animation of the LHC acceleration process
- Werkcollege 7
- Solutions Werkcollege 6
- Notes on the acceleration components and on the use of SI and cgs units.
Lecture 8: Synchrotron Radiation II. RL 6.3, 6.5, 6.6, 6.8 | G 4.4, 4.5
Check also Section 4.8 in Ghisellini’s book (independently on whether you’re using the R&L, G or just the slides), it’s a very useful summary.
Lecture 9: Direct and Inverse Compton Scattering I. R&L 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 | G 5.1, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5
Lecture 10: Inverse Compton Scattering II, Relativ. Bremmstrahlung. R&L 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6, 7.7 + 5.4 | G 5.6 & 5.7.
- Slides Lecture 10
- Clarification Notes on Exercise 3 of Werkcollege 9 (Gamma-Ray Burst)
- Werkcollege 10
- Solutions Werkcollege 9
Lecture 11: Atomic Structure and Radiative Transitions. R&L Chapter 9 +10.1 | G 8.6.
Since R&L has an overabundant discussion whereas Ghisellini lacks many parts we discussed, I recommend you follow the following notes in the link below.
Lecture 12: Radiative Transitions II & Molecular Structure. R&L end of Chapter 10 + Chapter 11
- Lecture 12 (updated 5/12/16; few typos fixed)
- Solutions Werkcollege 11
- Example exam: year 2015/2016
- Example retake: year 2015/2016
- Lorentz Transformation of Projected Area
- Line broadening (from the R&L, for those of you who are not using the textbook. Useful to understand exercise 2 of Werkcollege 11)
There were some solutions missing from the Werkcollege 3, now the correct solution files have been uploaded (see Lecture 4 above)